Sunday 5 February 2012

SPRING/SUMMER FOOTWEAR


Choosing footwear for s/s in this country is always a challenge. I have lost track of the amount of times I have bought footwear at this time of year and come summer, they're still sitting I'm my wardrobe with tags on. Unfortunately for us Brits, we are never guaranteed dry, warm summer weather which for me, makes buying footwear for this time of the year difficult. Last year was more successful than previous years, not because of the weather (that was awful) but because of the success of the boat shoe. Unlike espadrilles, boat shoes come with solid soles and are usually made of leather. So for the times when the weather was seemingly unpredictable they were the perfect choice. Cool enough to wear if it was a warm day and solid enough to keep your feet dry if there was a down pour. Also, boat shoes were a versatile option as they look equally good with shorts or chinos.

This s/s there are some exciting new trends inspired by the catwalks! However, you will still see easy to wear styles such as espadrilles, canvas, boat shoes and flip flops in footwear sections in most high st stores.

Here are the four footwear trends I'm most excited about!


The last few years have seen the popularity in men's gladiator sandals increase. What was once a staple in every girl's boho chic wardrobe crossed over into menswear and every summer for the past few years we have seen more and more retailers pick up the style.
If the catwalks are anything to go by, this year should bring similar styles to last year but with an Olympic feel. The designers showcased a range of colours, strap and embellishment detailing and interestingly, socks!
I think we are a few years from socks and sandals becoming a wearable look, but I do think that the sandals alone will become more mainstream. So for the men who have not felt comfortable up styling from flip flops, this might just be your year. Shorts and gladiator sandals are an obvious pairing so try wearing them with full length, smart chinos and shirt and wear your sandals with authority.


I am really excited about this new trend. Fringe detailing appeared on leather, woven, suede, moccasins, brogues, I could go on! The look is simple and easy to wear as it's more of an accessory to classic footwear styles. I particularly like the style on smart shoes much like the pair from Zara below. They are a great way to liven up your boring work wear!


Now I'm no expert on what the exact difference between the two is, but from what I can gather, loafers have heels and moccasins don't. What I do know, is that they were a huge look on the designers s/s12 catwalk shows. Both styles are slip on, easy to wear shoes which make them great for s/s, plus they're a great alternative to boat shoes! As moccasins don't have a heel they're a good casual footwear option that can be used to dress down chinos or worn with shorts. Loafers are great for dressing up outfits as most options available on the high st so far come in formal styles in black/brown leather and with various detailing.


I can't wait to get my hands on some shoes with contrasting, coloured soles!! I think they are so cool and what better way to add something new to your favourite style? The other new look, wedged soles is an interesting idea. Whilst they're nothing like ladies wedged heels I can't help but think that for a lot of men the comparisons will linger in their decision making process when it comes to buying these.


So, which style(s) are you going to be wearing this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment